Women’s Philharmonic Advocacy is a non-profit organization founded in 2008 in order to:
- Recognize the achievement of The Women’s Philharmonic (1980-2004) over their 24 years of activity.
- Build on this work by advocating for the performance of women composers by orchestras and ensembles.
- Address the place of women composers (historic and contemporary) in today’s repertoire of orchestras and ensembles in the US and internationally.
- Present information that highlights the shortage of programming of works by women; the heritage of TWP emphasizes that this should and can be corrected.
Board of Directors:
Liane Curtis – President
Joan Capra Violinist, musician with The Women’s Philharmonic.Researcher of historic women composers, provided material for TWP’s Baroquen Treasures recording
Chen Yi Composer, Professor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music and Dance.
Robert Kendrick Professor of Music at the University of Chicago. His books include Celestial Sirens: Nuns and Their Music in Early Modern Milan, he has edited the motets of Chiara Maria Cozzolani, and he is currently researching Louise Farrenc.
Ann Krinitsky She directs the Marin Symphony Youth Performance programs and the Virtuoso Program at San Domenico School. A frequent guest conductor with the Honolulu Symphony, she was also a guest conductor for The Women’s Philharmonic.
Kathleen McGuire After more than a decade of working as a conductor in San Francisco, McGuire returned to her native Australia in 2013 where she is now Director of Music, Queen’s College – The University of Melbourne
Director of Research and Blogger-in-Chief: Sarah E. Baer, M.A. in Musicology and Women’s and Gender Studies
Director of Music Publications and Editor-in-Chief of Amy Beach Project: Chris A. Trotman, M.M. in Music Composition and M.L.I.S.
- Robyn Bramhall
- Past President, The Women’s Philharmonic, Senior Professional in Human Resources
- Kile Smith
- Composer, and Past Curator of the Fleisher Collection of Orchestral Music in the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Mary Buckley
- Retired Social Worker, music-lover and researcher on Women’s History
- Past Board Member:
- Judith Rosen
- Music activist, Author of Grazyna Bacewicz: Her Life and Works. Past Board Member of The Women’s Philharmonic