Women’s Philharmonic Advocacy is a non-profit organization founded in 2008 in order to:
- Recognize the achievement of The Women’s Philharmonic (1980-2004) over their 24 years of activity.
- Build on this work by advocating for the performance of women composers by orchestras and ensembles.
- Address the place of women composers (historic and contemporary) in today’s repertoire of orchestras and ensembles in the US and internationally.
- Present information that highlights the shortage of programming of works by women; the heritage of TWP emphasizes that this should and can be corrected.
Board of Directors:
- Liane Curtis – President
- Resident Scholar, Women’s Studies Research Center, Brandeis University
- President, The Rebecca Clarke Society, Inc. Ph.D. in Musicology
- Joan Capra
- Violinist, musician with The Women’s Philharmonic.Researcher of historic women composers, provided material for TWP’s Baroquen Treasures recording
- Chen Yi
- Composer, Professor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music and Dance.
- Beth Denisch
- Composer and Faculty, The Berklee College of Music
- Ann Krinitsky
- She directs the Marin Symphony Youth Performance programs and the Virtuoso Program at San Domenico School. A frequent guest conductor with the Honolulu Symphony, she was also a guest conductor for The Women’s Philharmonic.
- Margaret Lucia
- Professor of Music at Shippensburg University (PA), she is a noted pianist and has performed and recorded widely.
- Beverly McChesney
- Bassoonist, performed with The Women’s Philharmonic; her quintet Bellavente Winds has released two CDs
- Pamela Madsen
- Composer and Music Faculty, at Cal. State Univ. Fullerton. She regularly organizes festivals of new music.
- Kathleen McGuire
- After more than a decade of working as a conductor in San Francisco, McGuire returned to her native Australia in 2013 where she is now Director of Music, Queen’s College – The University of Melbourne
- Barbara Day Turner
- Music Director and Founder of the San José Chamber Orchestra, and music administrator and conductor of the Utah Festival Opera and Musical Theater
- Nan H. Washburn
- Co-founder and Artistic Director of The Women’s Philharmonic
- Music Director and Conductor of the Michigan Philharmonic
Director of Communications:
Susan M. Brown
Director of Research and Blogger-in-Chief:
Sarah E. Baer, M.A. in Musicology and Women’s and Gender Studies
- Robyn Bramhall
- Past President, The Women’s Philharmonic
- Senior Professional in Human Resources
- Kile Smith
- Composer, and Past Curator of the Fleisher Collection of Orchestral Music in the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Mary Buckley
- Retired Social Worker, music-lover and researcher on Women’s History
- Past Board Member
- Judith Rosen
- Music activist, Author of Grazyna Bacewicz: Her Life and Works. Past Board Member of The Women’s Philharmonic